Grassroots Trust kick-starts 7 Inspiring Projects
Above: Grassroots Awards winners The Box Office (Thai Boxing Club Croydon)
Croydon Commitment hosted the 2014 Grass Roots Trusts Awards on Wednesday 2nd July, giving over £25,000 to seven local charities.
• The Hive to expand their ROUTES programme to include employability skills training
• ICASAC – International Congo Aid – Smile African Children – to deliver security guard training
• AYDA - African Youth Development Association – to deliver recognised qualifications to ex-offenders
• Rise Media – to enable the continuation of the publication of “Limelight”
• BELS – Business & Education London South – to support an Employment Engagement Worker
• ARCC - Asian Resource Centre Croydon - to deliver the OCN qualification in confidence building
• The Box Office (Thai Boxing Club Croydon) – to support sports activators training qualifications
The Croydon Hilton Hotel opened their doors to receive guests, including Vidhi Mohan, shadow councillor for Communities and Jon Brookes Community Manager for the Croydon Partnership. The event provided a great networking opportunity for the 30 local charities who had applied for funding and a chance to showcase their projects to members of the business community.
Above: Grassroots Award winners BELS (Business & Education London South) with Croydon Commitment Chairman, Jon Hill
Set up in 2008 by Croydon Commitment and its partners, the Grassroots Trust Fund is awarded to small Croydon charities to kick-start inspiring projects that assist young people, pathways to employment and tackling anti-social behaviour. In 2013, £24k was awarded to 6 charities, Lives Not Knives, Advice Support and Knowledge Ltd, Rise Media, Empowered to Succeed, African Youth Development Association and Friends of Thornton Heath.
Jon Hill, chairman for Croydon Commitment and Managing Director of DMC said, “The charity is delighted to be able to support such a variety of deserving causes. These projects are contributing to making Croydon a better place and it’s about working together for the good of the borough.”
Croydon Commitment is a corporate-led social responsibility charity that supports the work of local charities, schools, and community projects and is supported by local businesses.
If you want to find out more, please contact us on 0208 774 3680 or e-mail Melinda.Ashford–firstname.lastname@example.org